top of page


Personal care is available without charge for everyone in Scotland aged 65 and over who have been assessed by the local authority as needing it.

Eligibility for Free Personal Care is identified by an assessment of need. The assessment is carried out by a member of staff of the council social work service. Referrals to social work can be made by individuals on their own or by someone else acting on their behalf. This assessment can also take place before or after discharge from hospital.

Self Directed Support – Choice, control and independence

Self-Directed Support is when you arrange some or all or your support instead of receiving directly provided services from your local authority social work or housing department. It enables people to have more flexibility, choice and control over their support and care provider so that they can live at home more independently.

Every Scottish local authority must offer those who are eligible the opportunity to direct their own support.  Most people who use social work services can get self-directed support (encompassing direct payments).

For further information and guidance please contact your local authority department

The City of Edinburgh Council - Social Care Direct 0131 200 2324

West Lothian Council - Social Work Centre 01506 776700

Alternatively, Primecare Health Ltd has a team who can support you if you wish to organise your funding through the direct payment scheme.

bottom of page